To make a positive first impression when meeting new people, in person or virtually, include the following as part of your greeting:
- A warm smile
- Direct eye contact
- A firm handshake or confident wave
- Your Elevator Pitch
An elevator pitch can be used in many situations such as when you:
- Meet new professionals or alumni at networking events or other career events
- Connect with employers are career fairs or other career events
- In an interview, at the beginning or when you are asked, “Tell me a little bit about yourself.”
Creating Your Elevator Pitch
- Introduction: Introduce yourself, offer a firm handshake or confident wave
- Objective: WHERE ARE YOU NOW? Tell the person where you are now, what year, what major, etc.
- Summary: WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? Briefly summarize education, experience, strengths, etc.
- Closing: WHERE ARE YOU GOING? Talk about what kinds of opportunities you are seeking.
If appropriate, ask a question such as:
- Can you share any opportunities that might fit with my skills and experience? (Career Fair)
- Do you know anyone who might know more about… the kinds of opportunities you are seeking? (Networking Event)
- Tell me a little bit about you (Networking Event)
- Tell me a little bit about your organization (Career Fair)
Determine how effective and memorable your Elevator Pitch is by using this checklist:
- I can state who I am, what my work is and what makes me unique
- I can say my name and concentration of interest
- My pitch has multiple parts, each can stand on their own and invite conversation
- I communicate what I do differently, uniquely or unlike my competitors
- The response I get from either version leads into further conversation such as, “Interesting; tell me more.”
Need Help Crafting your Elevator Speech?
Craft Your Pitch
Hello, I’m ________________________. I’m currently a __________________ at Augustana College working on my bachelor’s degree in
During my college career I have ____________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________. Last summer I had an internship with _____________________________________________
____________________ where I _____________________________________________. I was able to develop ______________________ skills while
__________________________. I really enjoy _______________________________________________________________________________.
I am interested in working with the _________________________________ as a _________________. My _____________ degree,
_____________________________________ skills, and interest in _____________________________________________________________
___________________________ through _________________ makes this position a great fit for me.
Hello, I’m Gus Viking. I’m currently a senior at Augustana College working on my bachelor’s degree in Psychology and Communication Studies.
During my college career I have worked on campus in one of the on-campus convenience stores where I stocked shelves and served student customers. Last summer I had an internship with the Boys and Girls Club where I helped with programming and events for pre-teen and teen boys. I was able to develop leadership and mentoring skills while building rapport with kids. I really enjoy helping kids see their worth and potential.
I am interested in working with the Illinois Department of Health and Human Services as a Case Manager. My psychology degree, strong communication and interpersonal skills, and interest in helping others through social services makes this position a great fit for me.