Career Development & Vocation celebrates and welcomes first-generation students who call Augustana College their academic home.
Who is a first-gen student?
First Gen students at Augustana
The best way to get started is by viewing the Viking Score. The Viking Score motivates students to take small steps ensuring they are on the right path to getting to where they want to be. Viking Score Activities are designed to move students smoothly, at their own pace, through the process of career development and vocation.
Next, consider scheduling a career coaching appointment. Your Career Coach will introduce you to the curated resources and networks and opportunities for career readiness skill development so that you can develop a personalized pathway leading to a life of purpose and meaning.
Job Search and Networking Tools
- I’m First: an online community providing first-generation college students with inspiration, information, and support on the road to and through college
- TRIO @ Augustana College: 10 things TRIO can do for you
- Young Invincible (YI) Scholars Program: offers first-generation students the opportunity to join the Young Invincible team, working on today’s most pressing economic issues facing young adults
Additional Information and Resources
- America Needs You is a professional organization that fights for economic mobility for ambitious, first-generation college students by providing transformative mentorship and intensive career development.
- First In The Family provides educational information from first-generation college students, for first-generation college students.
- Founded in 1968, the Council on Legal Education Opportunity (CLEO) is a national organization that works to expand opportunities for minority and low-income students to attend law school.
- Guilt is one of the biggest struggles first-generation college students face: This article goes behind the scenes to analyze some of the challenges these students face and how universities can help.
- How Hiding Your True Self at Work Can Hurt Your Career: This article highlights the potential costs of hiding your affiliation with a certain group (i.e. first-generation students) in the workplace.
- First-Generation Students Unite: This article tells the stories of first-generation students from all over the country that share the theme of embracing this unique part of their identities.
- Transitioning from College to the Workforce as a First-Gen: This interview offers insight into how to make your transition as smooth as possible.
- Career Advice for First-Generation Grad Students: This article provides six key pieces of advice from a first-generation graduate student.