Augustana’s Pre-Health Club
The goal of the Pre-Health Club is to provide students pursuing a career in the professional world opportunity and access with valuable resources and personalized advising.
Ultimately, the Pre-Health Club will create a collaborative community between students and the professional world, allowing students to find faculty members, extracurricular activities, and Quad City/campus involvement at the beginning of their college journey to create competitive applications for future professional studies. Overall, Pre-Health Club gives undergraduate students the opportunity to broaden and further their own interests with any type of pre-professional field.
Students from all pre-health areas are encouraged to join and participate in the variety of meetings, events, workshops
In addition to the student leadership, Dr. Cheryl True, Quad Cities Physician has also joined the board of the Pre-Health Club. Dr. True will be a valuable resource for members, helping to connect them with healthcare professionals in the Quad Cities community.
The club is incorporating a variety of professional development and networking opportunities for students from a variety of health-related disciplines. Activites include:
- Resume and personal statement workshop with Beth Ford, Career Coach
- Shadowing opportunities for pre-veterinary students at the Quad City Animal Welfare Center and the Animal Emergency Center of the Quad Cities. These will allow students to gain experience with small animal shelter medicine, including high-quality, high-volume spay/neuter surgeries, and exposure to emergency veterinary medicine. In addition, Oakwood Veterinary Service has allowed students to contact their clinic directly to arrange large animal shadowing experiences.
- Ellys Stasinski, undergraduate pre-medicine advisor, has met with a few pre-med students to give them schedule advice and help them to find shadowing and job opportunities.
- Q and A panel for our pre-veterinary students with Dr. Bryce Dibadj ‘17, ER veterinarian.
- Zachary Rowe, Associate Director of Admissions at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine, will meet with pre-medicine students to discuss the Rosalind Franklin medical school program and about preparing a competitive medical school application.
- Outreach Coordinator from World Relief of the Quad Cities will discuss volunteer opportunities with their organization.
- Scribe America session on scribing opportunities in the Quad Cities area.
- Suture clinic in coordination with Augustana’s Tri-Beta National Biology Honor Society
For more information about Augustana’s Pre Health Club, contact Elllys Stasinski at firstname.lastname@example.org or any of the members of the Executive Board listed below. Follow the club on Instagram @augstana_prehealthclub
Faculty Advisor – Dr. Pam Trotter