Student Employment for International Students

All degree-seeking international students attending Augustana College full time are eligible to work on campus. Before you can begin work, there are some steps you must follow. You can begin looking for an on-campus job while you are completing the following steps, however, you will need to let your prospective employer know it may be a few weeks before you have work authorization.

  • Step One: You MUST have a social security card if you are going to work on campus. The Social Security Administration (SSA) authorizes Social Security Cards. It is recommended you call the Social Security Administration and schedule an appointment to come in for your Social Security Number. To make an appointment call 1-866-414-9166. You can also walk in anytime Monday-Friday 9 AM-4 PM, but you may have a wait time.
  • Step Three: Attend your appointment with the Social Security Administration.  The Social Security Office is located at 2350 4th Avenue, Rock Island, IL.  The office is about a mile from campus.  You may want to arrange a ride.
  • Step Four: Wait until you receive your card.  In 7-10 days you will receive a letter in your student mailbox from the Social Security Administration.  Your card will be included.  It is a small blue card.  DO NOT LOSE THIS.  Keep it in a safe place.  If someone gets this card, it is very easy to become a target of identity theft. This number will be your number for the rest of your life.  Should you return to the United States to continue your education (graduate school, etc.) or to work you will HAVE TO HAVE this number.
  • Step Five: You are now authorized to work on campus.  Visit the Payroll Office on the second floor of Sorenson Hall during business hours.  Complete and gather your required items before coming to the Payroll Office. You will need:
    • Your Social Security Card
    • A US Bank account (routing number, account number) for direct deposit
    • Passport
    • I-9 Employment Verification, pages 1 and 2
    • Your letter of employment
  • Step Six: Search for a position.  All position postings are posted on Handshake.

Access Handshake

  • Log in to Handshake at
  • When prompted, continue log in process using your full email address and your email password
  • Follow the prompts to complete personalization of your profile
  • Once you build your profile, you will be able to search and apply for part-time jobs and internships on and off campus.  You can also make appointments to meet with a career coach, access career resources, and explore careers that interest you.

Search for openings:

  • To search for part-time jobs and internships on and off campus, follow these steps:
    • Click Jobs in top menu bar of Handshake
    • Select “On-Campus” to see student employment positions
    • Review openings and click on a position’s title to view more about position
    • Apply directly using Handshake by clicking green Apply Now button

The Flexible Employment Program (FEP) is similar to a temp agency allowing students to work for different departments across campus as needed and select work opportunities that fit within their schedules. As with all employment, before enrolling in FEP, students will need to complete required tax forms.  Students can sign up for the Flexible Employment Program (FEP) by applying on Handshake or sending an email to with FEP as the subject.  Students will be registered through a third-party system (Sling) and receive a confirmation link with next steps.

For more information about Student Employment or the Flexible Employment Program (FEP) please contact Bobbie Tidball CORE, Olin Hall; 309-794-8614.