It is never too late to apply for internships. Of course, it can be too late for a specific position because the due date has passed, or even for a particular season because most companies accept applications months prior. However, if students are determined to find an internship program, they can do so. In many cases, the start date might be later than they anticipated, though.
Some summer internships have very strict deadlines while others do not. Larger companies that offer several internships tend to have a structured process in which they recruit and hire interns and often complete the entire process in the earlier months of the year. On the other hand, smaller companies and startups tend to be more flexible with the recruiting process for internships. Familiarizing yourself with the recruiting process and deadlines of the internships you wish to pursue can help you avoid missing out on important opportunities.
Here are some steps to follow whether you’re seeking a paid or unpaid internship:
- Start your search as early as possible. NOW is the time!
- Define what you want in an internship. Use our ACTION PLAN Experiential Learning to help determine what type of settings, job titles, organizations, and more you are seeking.
- Search job boards. Here are some places to start:
- Use your professional network.
- Connect using LinkedIn
- Check out our alumni network, Viking Connections
- Create an effective resume.
- Resume Writing Resources
- Send a copy of a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for review
- Schedule an appointment for a Resume Review with a Career Mentor or your Career Coach
- Keep sending applications.
- Communicate with potential employers.